Wednesday, July 2, 2014

An Important Change for GMAT Test Takers

GMAT test takers will now (as of 6/27/2014) be able to see their unofficial score before deciding whether to make it a part of their score history. Is this good or bad?

Good:

Test takers now have more control over the GMAT history they choose to share with those evaluating their application. When I took the GMAT, I had to sit through the entire test - and the natural self-doubt that came with my performance - before I chose blindly whether I had managed to earn a good number or not. I clicked "show" and was lucky enough to see a great score that was then added to mt permanent record. Now, you can actually see the number before deciding whether to make it public or not. Life just got a bit easier for GMAT test takers. But...

Bad:

A cancellation, or multiple cancellations, is like a chronological gap in your resume - there is no way to look at it except with a negative feeling. Cancelled score? Must have been a 450. How else to consider this?

What to do:

If it is your first test and you only got a 650, I'd accept it. Address the area(s) you were weak in, and put together a 720 on test number 2. This to me makes more sense that rejecting everything except your ideal score. Besides. many programs are very comfortable with you showing improvement in test 2. It's certainly better than a big score drop.

If you did manage a 450 on a test, by all means cancel that score.

If you are in between - let's say 580 - 650 - then you have a tougher choice to make. If a particular section (i.e. verbal, math) ended up very positive, while the other (i.e. math, verbal) didn't, this can complicate things. I know that for my clients we'll map out potential scores and potential reactions to them in advance of each test. You should do the same.

The press release from GMAC is here.

John Couke
john.couke@gmail.com